Pages

2011-01-30

A novel idea! A novel about Project Management

I just finished (today) a terrific novel (of all things) called "The Deadline - A Novel About Project Management" by Tom DeMarco. It's a 1997 read that absolutely blows my mind. It considers basic principles of management in ways and in relationships I simply didn't consider before reading this 300 pg short book. The author illustrates in first person prose in real terms how to put simple change in place - and we're not talking about PMBOK 4 101 here....

The author gets into intimate details about where problems in projects (systems) reside, how to solve them, and more importantly for me, shows you how it's really done all within the confines of a myriad of characters, actions, and personalities. This book illustrates quite openly about how management involves four key things: heart, gut, soul, and nose...among many other great points that the main character collects throughout his tour of duty. I'll note those in a future blog post (I tend to take notes about my findings to paper since I don't memorize key points in books as easily). I know someone that sure can do this though...like a human journal, he is!

But for now, take my word that this book is as relevant as ever. Tom even has some keen insight in this era (some 14 yrs ago now) that is spot on with today's complexities building and deploying software. That Lahksa Hoolihan character is engraved in my head - engaging, cunning, and beautiful all in one;).

No comments: