Pages

2008-10-17

Producer or Project Manager?

Ok, I thought this would be an interesting quick blog...over the years, I've worked in environments where the nomenclature of your dept or group was ever changing or just plain unknown. Let's face it, we love to rename everything in society to meet the latest craze. I've been in db development, production, engineering, software Dev...am I a project manager or a producer? In the visual design and graphics space, I'd be a Producer, managing a team of designers performing the work. Since output is visual in nature, I'm considered a Producer of said artifacts, not entirely correct, but in the Hollywood sense, I suppose I would be equal to a Producer of your fav tv show, the guy behind the scenes pushing and pulling, bringing the thing alive. Since I believe Project Management is a set of tools, this feels good to me. Using PM methodologies, I lead an effort to produce the work.

As a shop specializing in delivering UI/UX software solutions, your Project Manager becomes a UX Producer, a user experience producer by trade. That sounds pretty prestigious, just don't let it go to your head if you're in that bucket;). Heck, you get to be famous with you friends if only for a few moments in time. Next step, a Star on Hollywood Blv...

No comments: