Pages

2008-09-10

Strategic or tactical as a PM? Part I

I seem to have read a lot lately on the topic of strategy and tactical planning as it pertains to a Project Manager. I've certainly got some opinions on this topic. First, for software development projects that are of short duration, regardless of the scope of work, it is paramount that the Project Manager fully understands the client's expectations beyond the functional and delivery requirements - tactical planning outside of the execution environment is really key. Being involved in the business development process at the correct moment is of vital significance to me. I need to know what the driving forces are for the client, what personalities exist with the various stakeholders, what are the measurable success factors, what influences your key stakeholders, and most importantly, what are we really trying to solve. The solution itself should be in liquid form during this stage of the client onboarding process, and as a PM, you can help shape this. I'm of the mind that there is a very narrow line between the presales phase and the delivery phase of the project for the typical PM who manages short duration, high visibility projects. If you produce contracts, charters, or SOW's like I do, you know how critical it is to be a collaborative member of this presales phase. Becomming removed or left out of this process not only greatly increases risk for the project you're about to undertake and manage, but it also tends to bring on dismay and distrust from the clients when questions and comments are raised that were already answered, but not documented anywhere for you and/or didn't make it into the SOW.

As for strategic involvement for the Project Manager, I like to consider reorganizing chaos across the organization an eventful way to share the wealth of your position. I'll continue my thoughts on this piece in Part II.

No comments: